Carin' for Karen

Karen tells us how crappy chemo is, and we tell her how uncrappy she is.

Monday, October 04, 2004

Thankfulness

I heard today on the "Today" show that stress and thankfulness cannot exist together. I thought that was pretty interesting. Wouldn't that be something if we learned that the antidote to stress was simply being thankful? That is what an "energy coach" stated today. I have been thinking about this off and on all day because before I started this cancer journey I had purposed to "give thanks in all things for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus." About a week after I learned that I had cancer, I decided that I would continue to look for things to be thankful for in spite of the bad situaltion.

Last Friday, at my last chemo treatment, there were two different things for which I was thankful. First, I was thankful that I am now 1/3 of the way through my 6 month treatment. Back in July when the doctor first started talking about 6 months of chemo, I thought that was a really long time. At this point it doesn't seem all that long. During this time I have seen God's strength and help daily. Even last Friday I met a woman at chemo who is at the beginning of her breast cancer treatment. As she and I sat in our recliners, being infused with the drugs, her husband I sang hymns and shared our stories of our faith. It was such a nice time that I didn't even think about the drugs, pain, cancer, and other negitive things. Some friends came by to visit with me about the same time the woman and her husband were leaving, so during the whole 4 hour ordeal at chemo, I was simply enjoying myself. The whole time was pleasant. Just like the saying,"find joy in every journey," having a thankful attitude means choosing to focus on what is good instead of the bad. This may be the most important thing I may learn during this jouney.

Another weird thing to be thankful for was the fact that I have gained some weight. It's no wonder. It seems like I mostly eat and sleep a lot of the day. My activity level is way lower than what it used to be. Well anyway, each week I have to have a shot to raise my hemoglobin level; I have had this painful shot twice before, but I recently learned that it was more painful for me because I don't have much fat in my arm where the shot is injected. I asked the nurse why she couldn't inject me in a place with some more fat. Lo and behold, I learned that she could! So I have something else to be thankful for. The nurse tried injecting me in the tummy where the new weight gain is and what a difference itmade! The shot was so much less painful that I almost didn't even notice it.

Enjoying the journey and thankful to be alive,

Karen

2 Comments:

  • At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Karen, I have read your entire story.. Your sister, Sue gave me your website and told me of your walk with cancer. You have been in our prayers since then. Your courage is remarkable. Your faith and trust in God is commendable. I am so happy that you have Jesus in your life. We don't know the reasons why things happen, but we can trust that there is always a purpose unto God. I will pray for your continued strength and trust in the Lord and for a miraculous healing of your body. Karen I wish I had spent more time talking with you when you were home for our high school reunion, but you looked like you were having a great time. When I think of you, I remember back to our grade school days at Lincoln and coming to your house and playing when we were little and both of us spending time over at the Pettigrew house. Do you remember? God Bless You Karen, Love, your sister in Christ, Cathy (Cosgrove) Nevone

     
  • At 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Karen,

    This is your cousin Donna Baumgartner (I am your aunt Evelyn Bennett's #2 daughter) Used to be called Donna O'Buckley. WHEW! Anyway, hang in there! I as well as my church are praying for you. Yours is the first BLOG I ever read and will continue to read up on you. Your sis has sent your blog web page to the Bennett - Thomas mass email so....hang on to your hat, your cookies and your weight gain. :) If you need more weight....my hips would gladly offer up their excess baggage!
    Donna

     

Post a Comment

<< Home