Carin' for Karen

Karen tells us how crappy chemo is, and we tell her how uncrappy she is.

Saturday, September 25, 2004

Progress

I went to the oncologist yesterday and learned that the liver tumors are shrinking. We looked at the CT scans from Duke taken in July and compared them to those taken at the Wilson hospital last Wednesday. There is a difference in size; the largest tumor was about 2.3 cm. and now it is 1.8 cm. It may not seem significant to you, but it is progress. It indicates that my body is responding to the chemo and so we are going to keep on with the same medications.

One interesting thing that I learned about the CT scans was that the CT scan in Wilson is a higher resolution machine than the one at Duke. The doctor told me that it that was because in a teaching hospital often they have to go through 8 different committees just to get a new machine, whereas in a small community hospital there is less bureaucracy and so they just go buy what they want. Who knew? The higher resolution scan showed also that I have a number of little tumors that probably were there before but that didn't show up in the first scan. The first scan showed some shadow there, but it wasn't clear enough to see what exactly was there. Anyway, it was good news and I am thankful. I have been lifted up in prayer in many different churches and by many different individuals. I am so thankful. God is hearing and answering all those prayers. He is faithful. Thank you all for praying. Please keep it up, I've got a ways to go. I am scheduled to be on chemo for 6 months, so that means at least 4 more from this point.
The road is long and we're not there yet, but we are making progress. That's good news.
Karen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home