Carin' for Karen

Karen tells us how crappy chemo is, and we tell her how uncrappy she is.

Saturday, September 04, 2004

continuing chemo

I had my second chemo treatment of my second round of chemo yesterday. I have responded better today than I have in the past. I am not as nauseous or exhausted as usual. I have been drinking carrot juice and pushing liquids which I think has made a difference. I have lost most of my hair this week. I finally gave up and had Dan shave it to about a half inch length. When I looked in the mirror I was horrified. I looked like Uncle Festus on the Adams Family. But it was necessary to cut it so short since the hair was falling out continually. I would wake up in the morning and find hair all over my pillow and even in my mouth. If I even touched my hair it would come out in my hands. It makes it easier to put medicine on the sores on my scalp now that there isn't much hair in the way. I have a lot to be thankful for. I don't have the sores in my mouth that other people talk about. It seems like sores on the head must be easier to deal with than ones in the mouth. Also I continue to get cards, phone calls and many different ways people have been extending their care and concern which continues to encourage me.

I wrote a poem and put it on a thank you card that expresses briefly how much we appreciate all the acts of kindness shown to me. I will reprint it here:
We want to say,
In this simple way,
That we're thankful for your care,
Especially your prayer,
And all the other ways you show,
The Good Shepherd's love that we know.
Kind and thoughtful gestures of
His faithfulness and love,
Have been delightfully revealed,
By your cards and letters, gifts and meals.

Different people from our church have been bringing meals on Fridays, the day I have chemo, and it has been a great help. Each time the food has been delicious and just perfect for the day.
My mom came for a visit this week and it had been great. We have had a great time catching up. It is pretty quiet here. Some of the kids are away with friends for the long Labor Day weekend.
I have put the many cards and letters that I've received in a scrapbook. In fact, I've received so many I have had to start a second book. It is a great way to keep them all and to re-read each one when I want to. It wasn't until this all happened to me that I understood how important it is to send a card or note to someone. It really does make a difference. The encouragement is every therapeutic emotionally and spiritually, which inevitably makes a difference on one's physical health as well.

That's all for now. Thanks for caring for Karen.

Karen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home