Carin' for Karen

Karen tells us how crappy chemo is, and we tell her how uncrappy she is.

Friday, August 27, 2004

chemo brain

I have not written in the blog for weeks because I just felt overwhelmed by having one more thing to do. But today Mark helped me find some of the emails I wrote last month and posted them to get you caught up with what is new in my cancer treatment. I have finished my first round of chemo and started the second round today. I am getting Taxol, Carboplatin, and Herceptin besides a few pre-medications given to keep me from getting nauseous. I go every Friday and it usually takes about 3 1/2- 4 hours. I am very thankful that even though my doctor is at Duke, I can get the chemo administer here in Wilson. That saves me at least 3 extra hours of driving. The doctor here is in contact with the doctor at Duke and so I feel like I am in good hands.

The side effects of chemo have been daunting. I realize now how much I have taken for granted my good health. I have had so much energy for so long that it has been a major adjustment to feel tired, sick, nauseous, and sore much of the time. I know this is part of the battle, but I don't really enjoy it. On the other hand, I want to beat this thing, so I go in to chemo with the " bring it on" attitude in order that I can have the tools to fight off the cancer. At this point I have about only 1/4 the hair I used to have. I usually wear a wig or a hat. I am planning to cut my hair again so that it will be about 1/2 inch long. I falls out everywhere and is getting to be a nuisance.

My chemo schedule is 3 weeks on and 1 week off. Well, not quite one week off: I don't get a week off Herceptin since that is the drug that controls the Her-2 condition that I have. But as I learned last week, that drug doesn't have many side effects. I felt like my old self last week and it was wonderful! I went to school (Southeastern Baptist Theol. Seminary) for the first week of Fall classes. It was so great to be there. I am getting my Masters of Divinity degree and hoping to graduate in May. It is a 3 year program. I have already completed 2 years and it has been my goal to graduate this year. This was supposed to be my easy year, but now that I am fighting cancer, it doesn't look so easy. But anyway it felt great to be there this week. As I was sitting in class thinking about Hebrew, writing papers, reading books etc somewhere during that time I forgot about my cancer, chemo, and condition. It was wonderful! As far as how well I will do this semester and if I can handle a full load of classes, only time will tell. But for now I am taking it one step at a time and trusting the Lord to help me.

This pretty much catches you up to date.

Karen

1 Comments:

  • At 1:17 AM, Blogger z said…

    I know what you mean about being in class and forgetting about the cancer, chemo and all. I had breast cancer in October 2000, lumpectomy surgery, chemo and radiation. I kept going to work everyday so I'd have something else to think about. Some days at work I couldn't concentrate and felt so tired I wish I could go lay down, but I live 40 miles from the office and ride a commuter van so there wasn't any way for me to leave early. I had terrible mouth sores during the chemo, but my doctor had a special mouthwash that really worked to heal them. Anyway I hope you find the strength to get through your treatment. It's been 3 years in April since I finished my treatment and I had mammograms every six months the first two years, now I'm only getting one per year. Surviving is wonderful. Hang in there and use those eagle wings.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home