Carin' for Karen

Karen tells us how crappy chemo is, and we tell her how uncrappy she is.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The Journey Continues

I have finished 6 rounds of chemo at this point. Since I am not having any really bad side-effects, I am going to continue taking Abraxane and Herceptin. I have very minimal neuropathy and other than that, the other side-effects such as intestinal problems, weakness, and hair loss are quite manageable. I learned last week that my heart was doing fine and doesn’t seem to show any deterioration caused by the Herceptin. In fact, it is a little stronger than the last time I took the test. The tumors have continued to respond to the chemotherapy therefore I am going to stay the course and keep on the same treatment.

I feel well most of the time. I have been walking regularly which is supposed to help fight cancer and I think it has been strengthening my heart, not to mention my emotional well being. I walk with different friends on different days of the week so as I walk, we talk and laugh. It is such a pleasant time that it doesn’t seem like exercise. Usually I walk about an hour a day.

I don’t have anything special to report; I am just continuing the journey. It is going well, but it isn’t very exciting at this point. Sometimes when one is on a long trip, it seems like the scenery gets monotonous. It’s not bad, just repetitive. I feel like I’m on that part of this journey. I want to say, “Are we there yet?” but I know we aren’t so I just settle myself down and patiently wait. In the meantime, I am reminded to continue to “find joy in every journey.”

2 Comments:

  • At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Karen,
    I think about you often, and continue to pray for you and your family. I know what you mean by "are we there yet?" Bennett is getting ready to start his third round of chemo on Thursday. One thing the Lord keeps reminding me of is that the journey along the way to the destination can be just as beautiful as the destination itself; although it doesn't seem like it until I remind myself to look for the beauty in everyday. Our family loves you and will continue to lift you up in prayer. I praise God for the way the tumors are responding to the chemo and for the strengthening of your heart. God is Good!!
    Love,
    Shannon Lamm

     
  • At 5:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    KAREN,
    I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW I'VE JUST LEARNED OF YOUR TRIAL, MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU EVERY DAY. SO MUCH TIME HAS GONE BY, AND I THINK OF YOU MORE THAN OFTEN. MAY YOUR HEART SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE, YOU WILL RUN AND NOT GET WEARY. ISAIAH 40-31, THIS VERSE HAS HELPED ME THROUGH MANY DARK DAYS. SO MUCH MORE TO SAY, THE LORD KNOWS,AND LOVES YOU, MAC

     

Post a Comment

<< Home