Carin' for Karen

Karen tells us how crappy chemo is, and we tell her how uncrappy she is.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Update

I am sorry that it's been this long since I last updated my blog. Much has happened since December, but I just didn't have the inspiration to write about it all. I was taken off the Lapatinib/Tycerb study at Duke at the end of March when it was discovered that the tumors in my liver had grown beyond the limits in the clinical trial. I was very sick. In fact I was hospitalized for two days. It took a while to figure out what all my problems were since there were many that were interrelated. Since then I have learned that I was severely dehydrated in addition to the tumors multiplying in my liver. For over a month now I have worked at drinking 64 oz. of fluid each day and started a new chemotherapy.

This week I got good news from my cardiologist that my heart is returning to normal function. The dehydration caused my heart to race when I did the simplest exertion. I am very grateful that I can now return to doing normal activities such as walking and talking without loosing my breath and making my heart go into adrenaline mode. This is part of the reason that I haven't written in this blog. If I took 8 steps or did even the simplest things I would get out of breath and feel like my heart was going to beat out of my chest. When I went to a cardiologist, he figured out that my blood just didn't have enough fluid it to pump my heart. I knew I was probably dehydrated because the Lapatinib gave me severe diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting. I know this isn't a pretty picture, but it's what has been going on. In fact the reason I was hospitalized was because they couldn't find my blood pressure.

Anyway, the latest news is that this week I learned that my heart is in good shape, my CT scan showed that there has been some shrinking of the tumors, and I am going to continue this new chemotherapy.

The bottom line is that I haven't given up hope. I am planning to walk down the aisle in about two weeks for my daughter's wedding and I going to continue to celebrate being alive each day the Lord gives me. Thank you for checking in with me. I'll try to post updates more often.

12 Comments:

  • At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Karen,
    I'm so glad that you felt like updating your blog. My prayers and thoughts continue to be with you. I look forward to you walking down the aisle at Abby's wedding.
    Love,
    Marcia

     
  • At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Best wishes :)
    TM

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Karen, good to hear from you and sorry things have been so tough. Enjoy the wedding, and hey, no apologies needed.

    Mark K

     
  • At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Karen,
    You have been in my thoughts and prayers. I have a very good friend who sings in my choir at church who is going through the same journey as you. She was treated for ovarian cancer 4 years ago and it now has returned. She is fighting it with all of her might as you are. I give you both enormous credit.

    Without faith, where would we be.

    Enjoy your daughter's wedding. What a joy that will be for you!! My oldest son, Sean, was married 6 years ago and they have given us 2 beautiful grandsons.

    Enjoy each day... God bless
    Peace,
    Madge Steiner Devine

     
  • At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Karen,

    Hang in there. Everytime Mark forwards news of you and others in our class that are suffering, it totally inspires me. You all are very special to me and are in our prayers.

    Tom MaKinster

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Karen,
    Hope, Faith and Love...you have the greatest three! Please know our prayers are with you and your family as you journey day by day. I know you will be a glowing Mother of the Bride!
    Love,
    Kathy DeFilippo Fisk

     
  • At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Karen:

    Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. You've always had amazing strength and determination and these things will certainly get you through this phase. I know you'll be walking down that aisle at your daughter's wedding.

     
  • At 12:04 PM, Blogger jim said…

    "Here here," Karen. I second Mark's admonition that no apologies are required.

    The WMC website slogan is "We're in this together!" and even though we're 552 miles away (well me at least :-) I think we all still feel that way about you and Dan and Abby and Matt.

    Hard to believe it's only been a year since Abby graduated ... and now she's about to embark upon a whole new adventure ... y'all have done well and I expect you'll be even better at spoilin' grandchildren! ;-)

    "So do not fear, for I am with you;
    do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you and help you;
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10 (NIV)
    Selah

     
  • At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Karen -
    You're amazing!! Thanks for being such a fighter - you have given so much to so many of us - you may not even know! And thanks for keeping us abreast on how you're doing. Though we have not seen much of each other for a long time, we have known each other forever!! You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

    Sue Wechtaluk

     
  • At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Karen, You have been in my thoughts and prayers and frequently check to see if there are any updates. I hope Abby's wedding went well and would love to see pictures sometime. Will continue praying for you and the rest of your family. You have been such a blessing to so many people!

     
  • At 5:25 PM, Blogger BoldLion said…

    Hi! Karen,

    I just got your website address that one of my friend gave me. I am always thinking about you and even asking about you when I see someone that you do know. I am still praying for you!
    I thought that you might like to know that I do have a blog online too.
    May the Lord Bless You in everyway!
    'Guerite ~ BoldLion

     
  • At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Karen,

    This is your cousin Donna O'Buckley Baumgartner. Praying for you as is my church. Because breast cancers seems to be in "our family" my daughter, Holly, got the pink ribbon tatoo on the side of her breast. Sheesh. But it actually looks nice. She says it is a tribute to all the Bennett girls who are going through this ordeal. Love to you always.

    Donna

     

Post a Comment

<< Home